Colonial Heights therapist charged with sexual battery involving patient | News
COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA (WWBT)- A therapist from Midlothian is facing a sexual battery charge involving one of his patients.
Police said Dr. Derek Roy Findlay's patient contacted authorities after an alleged incident April 18. Her description of the events in his office led to an extensive investigation, and then to the doctor's arrest May 2.
Dr. Findlay resigned from Tri-Cities Counseling in Colonial Heights, according to office staff.
Colonial Heights police said rape wasn't involved, but won't reveal exactly what the allegations are, or details about the victim.
In Virginia, sexual battery involves inappropriate touching and groping, over or underneath clothing. A misdemeanor sexual battery charge carries a sentence of up to one year in jail.
The arrest warrant says that Dr. Findlay lives in the Brandermill area of Midlothian. He declined comment. However, several of his neighbors were shocked to hear of the charges. They described the doctor, his wife and children as a friendly family.
Dr. Findlay was released from jail on a $5,000 bond. He is scheduled to appear in court July 25.
Copyright 2012 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.
Top Midlothian Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grand jury finds officer justified in Chesterfield shooting death
- Vandals set fire to mailboxes at Bon Air apartment complex
- Police investigating an early morning shooting in South Richmond
- 12 INVESTIGATES: Sex offender coached Central Va. youth basketball
- Richmond Police searching for person of interest in sunglasses thefts